Get Organized Now For The New Year
Is “getting organized” going to make an appearance on your New Year’s resolution list? Ya, me, too. Turns out NOW is the best time to start the new year on the right foot by organizing and setting goals for next year. Here are some tips to help you decrease clutter, manage your schedule and set goals for the new year.
Clean Out the Clutter
I don’t have a home office – on the one hand that’s nice because it’s one less room for me to make a mess, but on the other hand it means I don’t have a dedicated location to organize and keep track of blog and family files. Whether you have a dedicated office or not, these tips will help you tame the clutter!
- Clean out your files (both paper and digital): Ask yourself whether or not those documents will be relevant to your work in the coming year
- Supplies and equipment: Only keep what you use on a regular basis at your desk or work space – then store the “extras” in a cabinet or closet.
- Blank stationery items: Neatly stored in either stacking trays or a document sorter.
- To-do’s: Set up a desk file sorter or hanging files with categories for each type of action – “to call,” “to pay,” “to file,” “to read,” etc.
What’s your trick to tame the clutter?
When you’re a mom, you’re not just in charge of your own schedule. (Wouldn’t that be nice?!) Rather, you need to make sure everyone in the family gets to where they need to be when they need to be there. School, lessons, games, clubs, playdates?
That’s on you, mom. These tips will help you keep your schedule as manageable as possible.
- Set up a family calendar: get into the habit of putting everyone’s engagements in ONE place
- Get on the same page: make time to go over upcoming commitments with the whole family (or your spouse if the kids are little)
- Get ready the night before: put everything in one place so you’re ready to get out the door
How do you manage your family’s schedule?
Grow Your Business or Blog Next Year
These easy steps could easily apply to personal or family goals, but I find that as this year ends I’m really thinking about my website and the direction it will take in the new year. I know the general direction and goals for the blog, but I think it’s important to write down my goals for the coming year so I can keep myself in check.
- Re-evaluate this year and what could be improved upon
- Write down your new goals for next year
- Plan and dedicate time in your calendar to work towards new goals
- Check-in at scheduled intervals to track your progress
What are your personal or professional goals for next year?