The Top 5 Paints for the Living Room Reviewed
Choosing paint for your living room seems like such a personal decision, that it seems strange to offer advice about it – after all, your living room is unique, right? But that doesn’t change the fact that some paints are simply better in quality than others. We’ve taken a look at some of the best, here.
Best Paint for the Living Room
Prestige’s all-in-one paint and primer is designed to be used in any interior room of your home, not just your living room. That’s always something worth taking into account if you’re planning to have color coordination running throughout the home. It’s an acrylic latex paint which, like all prestige paints, has a low VOC content of less than five grams per liter.
What’s So Good About It? What Isn’t?
This paint has been created with ease of use in mind. Rather than having to put down a primer separately, you just simply need to roll on a coat of paint and be done with it. As it is an acrylic latex paint, it adheres well, even if your surface isn’t completely devoid of moisture – something that can be an issue in very humid climates. All of these features make it a paint you can simply pick up and go with. Thanks to the low VOC content, there is little chance of the paint work triggering any allergies. It dries quickly and doesn’t have a strong smell.
- Ultra premium paint and primer in one
- Ideal for living rooms, family rooms, media rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms and hallways
- Smooth application
- Acrylic latex for easy soap and water clean-up, durable and washable
- Low VOC: less than 5 g/l prior to tinting
This paint and primer, also from Prestige, has also been put together for usage in the interior of your home. The manufacturer has teamed up with renowned interior designer, Shell Rummel, in order to come up with an easy-to-use paint that has an authentic organic feel to it. This paint is ideal for space in which you wish to see the interplay between light and shade on your surfaces.
What’s to Love about It? What Isn’t?
This paint aims to help you achieve an elegant and inspiring surface without the amount of effort you might typically expect to put in. As it is a paint and primer, you can simply roll on the layers you want before letting it dry. There’s no tricky or time-consuming preparation work involved, and you don’t need to be overly cautious about its application. Any mistakes can be easily washed away. There’s very little chance of the paint setting off any allergies, too, thanks to its low VOC content. On some surfaces, you may find that you need more than one coat.
- Shell Rummel: Magnolia Collection
- Internationally renowned home décor designer
- Ultra premium paint and primer In one with high hiding formula for excellent coverage with smooth application
- Durable formula with easy soap and water clean-up
- Low Odor, Low VOC: Less than 5 g/l prior to tinting
This is another of product of Prestige’s collaboration with a leading interior designer, Nikki Chu. Her design philosophy involves muting and dampening down those brash, shiny metallic colors, in order to create a more liveable, classier ambience. This range covers a variety of grays, which are designed to provide a subtle backdrop in order to highlight more the more vivid colors of your living room.
What Are the Pros and Cons of this Paint?
Just like the other Prestige paints reviewed here, this Nikki Chu creation is a paint and primer all in one. The main advantage of this is that you don’t need to spend too much time preparing surfaces for painting, and it will adhere more easily to most surfaces, unlike simple paints on their own. As with the other paints, you’re unlikely to suffer from any allergy complaints, thanks to its low VOC content. It’s also easy to clean, and rolls on smoothly and evenly. Certain surfaces may require their own primer or more than one coat, but in general this shouldn’t be necessary.
- Nikki Chu: The Perfect Shades of Neutral Collection
- Internationally renowned home decor designer
- Ultra Premium paint and primer in one with high hiding Formula for excellent coverage with smooth application
- Durable formula with easy soap and water clean-up
- Low odor, low VOC: Less than 5 g/l prior to tinting
At the opposite end of the design philosophy spectrum, is this internal paint from Meoded. It is a metallic, shiny paint with glitter. Rather than providing a subtle backdrop, this creation is designed to draw attention to your walls and surfaces, and create an overall ambience of glitz and ostentation. Although it can be applied to cover all wall surfaces in a particular space, it tends to work best when contrasted with dark or more subtle paints, especially when taking into account the angles of light into a room.
What Is There to Love about this Paint? What’s Not to Love?
This paint is ideally used in buckets for children’s rooms and anywhere you want to add a splash (or a tidal wave) of glamor. While that may initially seem a little too ‘blingy’ for some, this paint can actually work in a very subtle way to guide people visually through a space. By simply using it on one wall, or in sections, you can achieve a glamorous look without appearing to have gone over the top.
- √ LIFE IN GLITTER: Crystal Brush is a glitter paint which makes interior surfaces glisten and sparkle, giving your walls a contemporary look unmatched by any other paint.
- √ CREATE YOUR MASTERPIECE: Easy to use, our Crystal Brush glitter paint will add a unique decorative flare to your space with just the swish of a brush.
- √ LOW VOC FORMULA: The advanced Low VOC water-based formula of Crystal Brush utilizes fine glitters, producing a durable, lightly textured decorative finish which is ideal for elegant living and dining rooms, foyers, theaters, commercial and retail spaces.
- √ FOR ALL AGES: Another great use for Crystal Brush Glitter paint is in children’s rooms, with bold and vibrant colors transforming their space into a fun and magical place to play and imagine.
- √ BE BOLD: The distinct look of twinkling glitter from Crystal Brush will be both subtle to bold and dark and light, depending on light and the angle from which the surface is viewed.
If subtle plays with light, soft tones or glitzy design strategies are absolutely not what you’re looking for, you might just find that this offering from Behr is more up your street. It’s a no-nonsense, flat, white paint which is designed to look clean and high-quality. If you’re going with plain white on a large scale, this is probably the best option you could go for. It spreads smoothly and evenly throughout the room and works well for ceilings.
What Are Its Pros and Cons?
As you might expect, when you see its finish, it is a self-priming paint. As this paint is designed to give a full, even effect over larger areas, that’s an invaluable quality as it saves a great amount of time preparing the surfaces. It doesn’t smell and is a zero VOC product – it’s not going to make you sick. Once the paint has dried it becomes resistant to mildew, too. This is also worth taking into consideration, as white paints can be the first to suffer from mildew.
- Excellent durability & hide in fewer coats
- Matte sheen best for living rooms, dining rooms & bedrooms
- Stain-blocking paint & primer in one
- Simple application with brushes, rollers and sprays
- Paint and primer in one for quicker project completion
If you have never painted a room before, or if you don’t have the level of confidence you’d like, check out this video by Nifty 101 that gives you all the tips and tricks you’ll need to do a great job.
When choosing the right paint for your room, you’ll obviously need to consider the colors and finish you want. With that done, you’re free to take advantage of the other features that modern paints offer.