The Top 4 Down Alternative Comforters Reviewed
People love down comforters for their delicate and soft feel, but unfortunately, they’re not suitable for everyone. If you have an allergy, you could well end up suffering with a down comforter. That’s why we’ve taken a look at the best, coziest and most durable down alternative options.
Best Down Alternative Comforters
This down alternative comforter from Puredown has an outside shell made entirely of cotton, while the inside filling is made of soft polyester. These fabrics give it the light feel of down, while helping keep your body heat from escaping the comforter. It’s entirely white and has an exterior grid pattern which is quite subtle. This design helps to keep the interior polyester from moving around too much inside the cover. The double stitching, however, means that you don’t need to treat it with kid gloves.
What Are Its Pros and Cons?
The most important thing about any comforter is how it feels and this one doesn’t disappoint. The combination of the polyester interior and cotton shell combine to insulate your body’s heat, just as you would expect from a goose, or duck down comforter. In the same way, it is not too heavy, either – you’ll be able to feel it, of course, but you’re not going to feel like it’s crushing you in your bed. The one downside is that you need to take care to avoid the buildup of lumps when washing it.
- MATERIAL: outer shell – 100% cotton/300 thread count, inner filling – 100% polyester
- SPECIFICATIONS: Full: dimensions – 90” x 90”, fill weight – 50 oz.
- DESIGN: baffle box construction prevents shifting of inner filling, 4 corner loops, single needle stitching, 300 thread count, white cotton braid piping, all season comforter
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: machine wash and dry
- Good Service: If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will help you solve the problem.
Utopia Bedding’s alternative comforter’s cover and filling are made entirely from polyester which has been treated with anti-allergenic and anti-microbial finishes in order to make it even more suitable for those who can’t use natural down due to allergies. It is also stitched in the box style, to prevent too much movement of the interior material. From the outside it looks comfortable and wouldn’t be out of place in a high-end hotel room.
Is It Any Good or Not?
Polyester doesn’t have the greatest name when it comes to comforter covers and fillings, partly because it doesn’t allow the fabric to breathe as much as some natural materials. This is probably why Utopia Bedding prefers to call the material “siliconized fiberfill”. The truth, however, is that polyester fabrics have improved a lot over the years and this is a comforter that will keep you warm, but won’t won’t make you feel stuffy. It’s easy to wash, although you need to be sure to dry it out properly, and that can take some time.
- COMFORTER DUVET INSERT - Queen comforter duvet insert measures 88 inches x 88 inches
- BOX STYLE STITCHING - Crisp looking comforter with 350 gsm filling features piped edges with an elegant style box stitching that prevent the fill from shifting
- SILICONIZED FIBERFILL - Extremely soft material with siliconized fiberfill alternative filling provides a comfy and cozy feel
- CORNER TABS - The four corner tabs make it extremely easy to put on any duvet cover and secures the comforter in place
- MACHINE WASHABLE - Machine wash in the gentle cycle with cold water, sun-dry or tumble dry on low when needed
Hannah Kay’s down alternative comforter is another one which is entirely made of polyester microfiber fabric. It follows the fashion of other down alternative comforters with its double-stitch box stye stitching, which is designed to keep the surface as smooth as possible and free of lumps. The cover is entirely white, but the box stitching gives it a character of its own. The whole thing is designed with two aims in mind – to give you a good night’s sleep, free of allergens and devoid of awkward lumps.
What Should We Make of It?
Without being too elegant or showy, Hannah Kay’s alternative comforter simply gets the job done – the polyester microfibers retain heat and are smooth to the touch. The balance between weight and heat retention is also impressive – you won’t feel like you have to wrestle it away from you when it’s too warm; likewise, you are unlikely to feel the need to cover it with blankets on a cold night. If you’re used to cotton and haven’t slept with polyester microfiber before, it might take some getting used to.
- PLEASANTLY WARM – SUPRISINGLY COMFY: Our queen comforter duvet is the perfect image of coziness and warmth. Cuddle your whole body from head to toe and enjoy the most rejuvenating sleep. No more sleepless nights. No more tossing and turning. No more waking feeling all tired and cranky in the morning.
- 100% HYPOALLERGENIC – 100% SAFE FOR ALL: Made of high quality materials and hypoallergenic filling, this snug duvet blanket is a keeper. It is perfect for women, men, kids, teens and those who struggle with allergies and skin sensitivity. Do not compromise with anything less than perfection when it comes to your comforters.
- MAINTAINS ITS SHAPE NO MATTER WHAT: Thanks to its 77 oz filling and premium craftsmanship, this queen sleep cover is designed to withstand everyday wear and tear. When it’s cleaning time, toss it in the washing machine and let it do the rest. Worry no more about lost fluffiness or any shape changes. This baby is here to stay!
- COMPLEMENT YOUR HOME DÉCOR: Level up your bedroom décor without having to break the bank. Order your Hanna Kay deluxe comforter cover and aesthetically please your bed. The baffle-box stitched pattern adds extra elegance. No matter your style. Great for personal and professional use, homes, hotels, inns, guest houses and more.
- ENJOY A GREAT NIGHT’S SLEEP – EVERY NIGHT: Sleep safe and sound again with this utterly soft and extra fluffy comforter cover. Since it has the perfect weight, it will sit pleasantly over your body without being too heavy or too light. Plus, there are no crinkling or scratchy noises every time you turn over. We’ve got you covered
Superior’s down alternative comforter is an elegant, high quality, tailored item, made entirely of polyester microfiber. It is threaded in a double stitch, box-style, to prevent the inner material from moving around too much and creating a lumpy surface. It looks comfortable, soft and neat, without loose threads or uneven lumps, and comes in a standard all-white shell. As it’s 100% polyester, it’s suitable for those who are looking for a hypoallergenic comforter.
What’s It Like?
The fabric at the surface is very soft and pleasant to touch, and appears to be of a high quality. It’s well stitched together and is unlikely to fall out of shape no matter how you leave it, or after you wash it – although it is advisable to take it easy when washing as some machines might end up damaging the threading at the edges. It is definitely warm in winter and you won’t need extra blankets or anything. It does feel a bit heavier than other comforters, and could be stifling if you live in a hot summer climate.
- SUBTLE SOFTNESS. With an ultra soft shell made of the finest 100% Microfiber and lofty Down Alternative Polyfill, this colorful comforter / duvet insert excels in comfort. The microfiber shell is luxuriously soft and fade resistant, and the hypoallergenic fill provides relief for those with allergies to goose down comforters and feather bedding
- PERFECT FIT. This Full/Queen size comforter measures 86" x 86" to fit your Full, Double, or Queen bed. With 40 oz of white down alternative polyfill, this medium weight comforter is perfect for year round use
- COLORFUL BEDDING. Available in a wide range of bright, bold, and neutral colors to fit in a master bedroom, boy's or girl's room, college dorm bed, or guest room. Complete your bedroom set with Superior's collection of mattress toppers, mattress protectors, blankets, and pillows. Our wide range of premium quality down alternative and memory foam bedding will make your bed so cozy, you'll never want to leave
- EASE OF CARE. The sewn-through baffle box construction, crafted with double needle stitching, prevents our fill from shifting. Our Classic Comforter comes conveniently packaged in its own reusable comforter storage bag. This beautiful comforter is machine washable, and can be tumble dried on low heat to re-fluff. We recommend removing all bedding promptly from dryer to reduce any wrinkling. Always follow care label instructions for best results
- GUARANTEE: PLEASE CHECK "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME. Superior products are not distributed internationally so please only purchase from a retailer that is based in the US. If your order arrives from an overseas shipper please know you did NOT purchase a Superior product. If your order arrives from a domestic location please confirm that it says Superior on the care label as well as HOME CITY INC as the manufacturer. If it does not, please contact Amazon and us immediately
Once you have your down alternative comforter, the day will come when it will need to be washed. How is cleaning it different than a down comforter? It’s so much easier! This brief video shows you how.
If you’re going for a down alternative comforter, it’s most probably because you can’t use cotton or natural fibers. Be sure that you enjoy the feel of artificial fibers before you buy, and check that the stitching is of a high enough quality to prevent the interior material from becoming unmanageable.