The Top 4 DIY Truck Bed Liners Reviewed
Bed liners are a great way to increase the lifespan of your truck bed, protecting it from the wear and tear that occurs during typical work. However, professionally applied bed liners can be expensive, making the ‘do it yourself’ bed liner option a great way to save money. With multiple products available it’s important to pick the one that best fits your needs, be it a highly textured surface, an easy application, or a finish that can withstand high temperatures and direct sunlight. Below are reviews of some of the top roll on bed liners to help you choose the best bed liner for you and your truck.
Best DIY Truck Bed Liners
The most labor intensive part of applying the Rust-Oleum bed liner is getting the area ready. Unlike other bed liners this product recommends a pristine surface for to application, with all paint or other products completely removed. The application itself though is painless; it’s easy to roll on and has a quick drying time. While the thinner consistency helps with the ease of the application, it also results in a final finish that is smoother than you might expect. You may want to apply multiple coats if you’re anticipating doing heavy work, up to 4 or 5 if you’re expecting really rough treatment. Overall this is a nice product if you’re looking for something that’s easy to apply and provides moderate protection. For best results it’s important that you sufficiently shake this product, or better yet have it shook at the shop prior to use. A word of caution, if you live or work in extreme weather conditions you may want to look at another product as Rust-Oleum has low UV protection and has been known to get tacky at high temperature.
- Creates an attractive liner that prevents damage caused by scratches, rust and weather with a durable, protective coating
- Fast-dry, water-based formula forms to the contours of truck beds and protects with ultimate rust and abrasion resistance
- Dries to touch in 1-2 hours and covers up to 40 sq. ft. per quart
- Truck bed paint is easy to apply by spray, brush or roller to recoat or restore any metal truck bed
- Create a custom truck bed mat on painted or bare metal with a non-skid, textured finish
Herculiner bed liners boast the thickest coating of any of the bed liners, creating a skid resistant surface that won’t rust. The thicker consistency makes application trickier than other bed liners; you want to make sure that you are working quickly or else you’re likely to be left with clumpy product at the end of the project. Additionally, while the product’s instructions are not to shake it, you do want to make sure you are stirring it completely and consistently or else you will end up with a finish that is more like paint than the desired textured protective coating. The highly textured finish can be an asset for avoiding skids and durability but does have the downside of making it tricky to clean and apply. While you are able to both roll and brush on this product you may want to chose the brush method; with the roller the rubber bits in the bed liner are not likely to apply evenly.
- Easy DIY: Herculiner is the original do-it-yourself brush-on bed liner kit
- QUALITY: In three easy steps, your truck bed will be covered with a tough, textured polyurethane coating just like professional spray-on liners
- DURABLE: Provides a durable skid-resistant protective coating that prevents rust and won't chip or peel
- PROVEN: Has been the industry leader for over 12 years
- VERSATILE: Can be easily applied to many other surfaces such as concrete, plastic, rubber, metal, wood or fiberglass
This bed liner contains Kevlar to create a protective barrier, with a water based formula that is easy to clean and keeps well, allowing it to be used multiple times. The application process is a little bit finicky with this product; it goes on easily with a thin consistency but requires careful prep, roughing as well as cleaning the surface of all oil or wax residue. Failure to take the time to do this before application can result in a peeling product. Because of it’s thin consistency more coats than other bed liners are required to get similar results. However, it’s consistency has advantages; it is one of the easier bed liners to apply with a spray gun. While end result isn’t as textured as the Herculiner bed liner, if properly applied and cured it is very durable for moderate use. The ability to keep any left over product for future touch ups is a nice bonus.
- Contains Dupont
- No working pot-life, can be reused
- No re-coat window; Special Shipping Information: This item cannot be returned and has additional shipping restrictions
- Water based formula, easy to clean up
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
The SMR-100 bed liner is easy to apply and protects against rust, salt corrosion and extreme temperatures. It also claims to deaden sound and vibration and adhere to most surfaces. Again, with this liner proper prep (roughing and cleaning) is a must. Application of SMR-100 bed liner is a little more complicated when compared to the alternatives, which are mainly one step processes; here a hardener is also required to ensure a proper result. This product is aimed at the customer who is looking for a strong protective coating rather than a textured skid free surface; while smooth this coating has the same ability to withstand atmospheric conditions as a high quality single stage urethane topcoat. Furthermore, it is the only bed liner that is compliant in 50 states.
- Excellent Exterior Stability from UV Light
- True 2K Urethane Durability
- Protects against rust, corrosion salt, damp & extreme temperatures
- Fast Dry Abrasion and Stain Resistant
- Easy to use: ADD hardener - SHAKE - ROLL
Wondering if you can do it yourself? Here is one person’s experience who had never done his own truck liner before. He decided to document the steps and his results.
While all the bed liners are going to provide some level of protection Rust-oleum Truck Bed Coating provides the best combination of ease of application, durability and versatility. However, if you’re a little more skilled than the average handyperson and looking for a product that has both UV protection and sound dampening the SMR-100 kit is also an excellent option. With all products carefully reading the instructions with regards to preparing the surface and proper application are key to successful result.