The Top 3 Axes for Splitting Wood Reviewed
That time of year is coming again. You can finally host bonfires and sit comfortably outside. You can actually light your fireplace happily and enjoy a nice evening inside cozied-up by it. Unfortunately, to do these things you need chopped wood or logs. At times going outside and chopping wood can be therapeutic, but not if you don’t own the right equipment. There’s no need to continue dreading heading outside to get the job done. With the appropriate tools you can enjoy the physical labor in the fresh air. We’ve got just the information to help you choose exactly which tools you need.
Best Axes for Splitting Wood
No matter the type of wood that you are trying to cut, this is the axe for you. It can handle large and small logs and won’t let you down no matter what you’re chopping. The total weight of this axe is a manageable 5.5 pounds. It’s just heavy enough to get you started, but it won’t tire you out unnecessarily.
No matter your ability or experience, you will find that you can maneuver this axe with ease. It works best with dry wood and excels at creating a beautiful cut every time. Camp fires will improve drastically with these immaculate cuts. You will finally have the perfect center controlled burn thanks to your new tool!
The Leveraxe has an innovative design that includes a hook on the back that can be used as a break. This break will protect you by preventing the axe from going through the wood into the ground or even you! Furthermore, having the hook on top helps easily remove the axe from the wood you’re finished. When you are ready for a full swing, the axe produces a levering action on the way down to assist you. Because of this unique feature, less force is needed compared to a traditional axe. You can save time and energy with this product.
The handle is made of birch wood and covered with a protective coating. You can trust that your hands will be protected from splinters and uncomfortable blisters. Even better, while you work away your axe looks modern and stylish.
One of the many unique aspects of this product is that unlike other more traditional axes, this one does not require you to strike the wood in the center. The safety features previously discussed above makes it acceptable to chop away at the sides first if this is what you’d like to do. When it comes down to it, isn’t it better to have the choice? Safety is absolutely essential and accidents happen from time to time. With this product you significantly reduce the risk of getting hurt and there are few aspects better than that.
There have been some reports that after using the Leveraxe for a few hours it was necessary to tighten the head before continuing. Also, some users have stated that it took a few days to get comfortable with the product and new technique before they truly felt they mastered it.
- LEVERAXE CLASSIC MX is very efficient and enjoyable tool for chopping wood
- Leveraxe's innovated design produces a levering action as it sinks into the wood. Less force is required to split the wood compared to traditional axes.
- The hook on the back of the axe is a brake. This feature stops the axe on top of the wood, not allowing it to go into the ground or the user's leg.
- Leveraxe's high quality steel head weighs 4.18 lbs. This light weight axe allows women and men of all abilities to split firewood with ease.
- Length: 35.5 inches -Total weight: 5.5 lbs -Axe head weight: 4.18 lbs
This classic looking steel axe is a practical and easy to use tool. It’s got a 4-inch cutting edge to ensure clean, quick cuts. The handle was made using shock resistant technology and reduces shock by up to 70%. You finally won’t need to nurse your hands for days after cutting a big haul. The no-slip grip along the handle ensures that you can chop safely without worrying about the axe slipping from your hand.
In a classic blue, this axe weighs in at 3.44 pounds, so experienced or not, this product is user friendly.
Some have claimed that they wish the grip was a bit bigger to accommodate their hand size and others have stated that this axe simply is not up to bigger jobs and should only be used for smaller projects.
- FORGED IN ONE PIECE – The most durable, longest lasting striking tools available
- OUTDOOR VERSITILITY - Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH - Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge
- GENUINE LEATHER GRIP – Hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- MADE IN THE USA – Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
3. Fiskars X27
This product was designed to assist taller users who desire to cut medium to large sized logs. It’s 36-inches in length and weighs in on the heavy side at 5.85 pounds. It’s constructed of steel and built to last. This super splitting axe is a classic tool with no frills. If you need to get the job done, and don’t need a lot of extra assistance, then this is an enticing option.
Are you craving more one-strike splits? This axe was specially designed to help give you exactly that! It’s advanced convex blade adds power to your swing, but also makes it easier to remove the axe from the wood.
There have been some minor complaints that this axe doesn’t have a sharp enough cutting blade. Some users have felt that it was not able to do the job that they were promised it could.
- Ideal for taller users splitting medium- to large-sized logs
- Designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain and improves control
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat
- Advanced bevel convex blade geometry adds power and makes the blade easier to remove from wood
- Lifetime warranty. Item weight: 5.85 pounds
How To Split Wood
For more information on how to split firewood properly, watch this video by This Old House:
You’ve got a job to do and you need tools that make it easier, not more stressful. When it comes to performing a task that requires concentration and physical strength, you want a product you can count on. We feel that the Leveraxe by Vipukirves is just what you need. It’s strong, and like you it isn’t going to quit. If you commit to chopping wood for hours, it will too. Over time you will find yourself making excuses to chop more, just so that you can use it! It’s finally time to turn that chore into an activity that you consistently look forward to. There’s no better time than now to purchase a tool that you can keep and enjoy.